NC Media Watch

A quest for reason and accuracy in letters to the editor, guest editorials and other issues of interest to the citizens of Western Nevada County.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Remembering on Memorial Day

Pat Butler, Memorial Day weekend is fun time, right?, May 28, 2005

Pat is right, It is time to stop and think about those we lost in the pursuit of freedom. I stop to remember 1st Lt. Don Clark a close friend killed in a F-100F crash in Viet Nam, my first B-52 Copilot Major Herb Rice who died in an AC-47 Puff the Magic Dragon in-flight fire, and Capt. John Hardy a former Aviation Cadet room mate who married my wife’s cousin, lost in the China when his F-4 was shot down.

I remember my Dad who trained Chinese pilots to fly B-26s in Texas, Uncle Fred a navy gunners mate in the Pacific, Uncle Ken the company clerk who was nearly killed in Italy, and Uncle Bud a Seabee who followed the Marines ashore in the Pacific Islands. They were my heroes when I was growing up.

There are thousands of freedom fighters from WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Afghanistan and Iraq who deserve a moment of reflection. Please take the time.

If you have a comment click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home